Citizens' High School has been accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council since January 28, 1984. The Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council is listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a nationally recognized accrediting agency.
Q. What exactly is Accreditation and is it the same as being licensed?
Licensing and Accreditation are no way interchangeable terms. A license is simply permission to conduct business and nothing more.
Accreditation is the process that gives recognition to institutions that have demonstrated, through comprehensive self-study processes and external evaluations by their peers, that they meet minimum academic standards and perform the functions they claim. It signifies an institution has set educational goals for its students and can demonstrate that their students are able to attain these goals.
Accreditation ensures the institution operates on a sound financial basis, has an approved program of study, qualified teachers, adequate facilities and equipment, and approved admissions standards. It also serves as "seal of approval" bestowed by an independent group of peers and individuals representing the public interest proving an institution is worthy of the public's confidence and merits the trust of government and students alike.
Institutions accredited by the Distance Education and Training Council's Accrediting Commission have proved, without a doubt, that they:
- Have core integrity and rock-solid ethics in every aspect of their operations;
- Are honest in all of their dealings with everyone, at all times; Have qualified faculty and staff at all levels;
- Have up to date and comprehensive learning programs and services;
- Treat their students fairly and with dignity;
- Promote their programs with unquestionable honesty and fairness to all;
- Show conclusively that their graduates learn what they were promised;
- Are operated in a financially sound manner, and can ensure every student will receive the training or education for which he/she contracted;
- and Finally, they have shown consistently that they merit the confidence placed in them by DETC and the peer group.
In addition, Citizens' is in compliance with c.1002.42, Florida Statutes, requiring the yearly completion of the Florida Department of Education's Nonpublic School Annual Survey. Citizens' is listed in the Florida Department of Education Directory of Nonpublic Schools under District 10: Clay County, School number 1345.
If verification of accreditation is required, the DETC may be reached at 202-234-5100.
For more information about the importance of accreditation and choosing an accredited school please click the link below and read the following article.